Anecdotes, Pleasantries, and the Golden Rule
We love a good story. But this first one is causing some controversy.
If there’s one thing that we enjoy here at The Old Farmer’s Almanac (aside from weather, of course), it’s a good story. A humorous anecdote works anywhere, whether you’re sitting around the campfire, having a family dinner, or taking a break at work. So it’s only natural that we included a few anecdotes in this year’s Almanac.
Honestly, they aren’t even that hard to find. We found one in the news recently about an interesting, though apparently controversial, ingredient. Most of us know that the secret ingredient to a prizewinning recipe is love (and possibly an iron skillet). The FDA, however, doesn’t necessarily agree, as the Nashoba Brook Bakery in Massachusetts discovered when they tried to list “Love” as an ingredient in their granola. According to the FDA, “‘Love’ is not a common or usual name of an ingredient and is considered to be intervening material because it is not part of the common or usual name of the ingredient.” We sincerely wish the FDA good luck when they argue with thousands of grandmas about that.
We also got a kick out of the story about a 16-inch, 11-pound zucchini found in Berlin, Germany. It was originally mistaken for an unexploded World War II bomb! Wonder how much zucchini bread we could make with that? Hmmm.
And ever bubbling, prattles as it goes;
The deeper river rolls its tranquil tide,
In silent dignity and stately pride;
So judgment still and virtue most abound
Where there is least of show, and least of sound.
His golden locks time hath to silver turned;
O time too swift! O swiftness never ceasing!
His youth ’gainst age, and age at time, hath spurned,
But spurned in vain; youth waneth by increasing:
Beauty, strength, youth, are flowers but fading seen;
Duty, faith, love, are roots and ever green.
Interestingly, The Golden Rule is found throughout time and across cultures.
In Christianity, it reads, “All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.” It’s such a well-known maxim that it is sometimes shortened to “Do unto others.”
In Buddhism, the Golden Rule reads, “Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.” In the Jewish faith, the Talmud reads, “What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. That is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary.”
And in Taoism, it reads, “Regard your neighbor’s gain as your own gain and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.”
We’ll leave you with some famous last words, spoken by Ludwig van Beethoven, who died on March 26, 1827:
“Friends, applaud. The comedy is finished.”
Or, perhaps we should part with the last words of actress Ethel Barrymore: “Is everybody happy? I want everybody to be happy. I know I’m happy.”
If you want more anecdotes, pleasantries, famous last words, and much more useful information, wit, and wisdom, you can get it and a bundle of FREE BONUSES with an Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership!
- Nature’s very own Frank Sinatra, the northern mockingbird
- What happened when the Sun “exploded” on September 1, 1859
- Our magic formula for accurately predicting the weather for over two centuries
- The best days this year for common activities, according to the Moon’s phase
- Why a dog may be the best medicine for whatever ails you
Introducing The Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership! This new and exciting club is designed especially for you—and it’s packed with articles, advice, best days, facts, and fun that you cannot get anywhere else!
Your Charter Membership gives you all the elements of a true almanac—a “calendar of the heavens” and a “time capsule of the year” for 2019, plus some bonuses when you join today. More about those bonuses in a minute.
Since 1792—in fact, every day since!—The Old Farmer’s Almanac has been trusted and enjoyed by folks from all walks of life: people who grow their own food depend on the planting dates; home cooks, gardeners, and folks hungry for something quick and delicious love the recipes; just about everybody checks on the Moon phases and sunrise and set times … as well as the weather forecasts … to know what to expect on any given day, week, month, or season.
With The Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership, you’ll have content that is both useful and humorous. You’ll discover quirky facts, timeless adages and advice, amusing quotes and profound proverbs, contests, Anecdotes and Pleasantries, Best Days to do things (from fishing to weaning from planting to setting eggs, for example), and so much more!
Your Charter Membership gives you everything that you’ve come to expect and depend on in an Almanac—valuable and accurate content and advice. In fact, fulfillment of readers’ expectations has made our Almanac the best-known and most sought-after Almanac for generations.
Did you know? The Old Farmer’s Almanac is the oldest continuously published periodical in North America! We got started with this valuable content in 1792—when George Washington was president and the U.S. Post Office Department was first established . . . and we’ve been at it ever since then, for 227 years!
We believe that, especially in today’s trying times, finding humor and enjoyment in daily life is important and can be uplifting, and we hope you like our light-hearted fun and find the joy in chuckling at our witty and inspiring words.
This will make you smile, too: Every edition of The Old Farmer’s Almanac is fresh, new, and designed to make the year one of the best ever. How do we do that? With entertaining and informative articles. For example:
But that’s just the beginning! Here’s just some of what else you’ll discover in the 2019 Almanac:
- The Faces of Farming: ambitious folks from across the country tell about how they got started, the hurdles they faced, and the rewards of working the land
- Timetables and advice for spotting meteor showers, bright stars, conjunctions, and other fascinating astronomical events
- Best days for planting, pruning, weeding, grafting, and controlling pests, plus the easiest-ever soil test (all you need is a pair of men’s clean, white, 100% cotton underwear and a small shovel)
- Daily weather forecasts for all regions of the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii
- Fresh new ways to savor the asparagus, beet, corn, and cucumber harvests, with “The ABCs of Pickling”
- Easy, delicious, and Almanac prize-winning recipes using oranges
- "Adventures in the Zodiac Zone"—what’s behind the Sun and Moon?
- A look back at "The Day the Sun Exploded"—and a look forward to how it could happen again
- The “full” explanation of if and why more strange things happen during a full Moon than at other times.
- Facts, folklore, and traditions in “Telling the Bees”—Did you know that beekeepers often invite their bees to weddings?
- Thinking of getting a pig, a cow, a goat, or maybe chickens? Or know someone who is? You do not want to miss “The Pros and Cons of Backyard Livestock.”
- Why a Dog May be Your Best Medicine—and your child’s, too!
- The Story of Baseball’s Most Amazin' Season, with the “Miracle Mets”
- "How to Make Sausage at Home" It’s easier than you think, especially if you make patties instead of links
- All this and too much more to mention for 288 pages of riveting content!
Plus, the Almanac’s easy-to-follow charts, maps, and photos bring it all to life for you—making it all easy to understand and use.
When you join today, you’ll ensure that you get the latest details about Almanac events and forecasts—and you’ll enjoy all these benefits:
- Your best garden ever—Almanac gardening advice, planting dates, time-saving tips, and detailed guidance from experts will get you growing like never before.
- You’ll know in advance about every important astronomical event in 2019—when they’re happening, where in the sky, and the details and delights of each one.
- You’ll have access to the world’s best source of Almanac content—from astronomy and weather to anniversaries and milestone dates; from important (and little known) holidays and religious events to traditional days in calendar folklore.
- You’ll save time and money when you follow all the practical advice and tips that we deliver to you about everything from gardening to food preparation and cooking.
- You’ll be a weather expert in your family and circle of friends—no one else you know will have the detailed knowledge about forecasting and weather that you’ll have . . . and for every region of the country!
How can you not consider becoming an Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Member?
When you claim your Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership today, your Charter membership will include:
- The Old Farmer’s 2019 Almanac—Our newest edition, the hard-copy version will be shipped to you right away with everything you’ve come to expect from the world’s premier almanac.
- Bonus #1: The Old Farmer’s Almanac 2019 Gardening Wall Calendar. Lovely to look at, fun to use! Each month features a beautiful full-color original illustration of seasonal plant or animal life, as well as timeless gardening secrets and advice, folklore, fun facts, and holidays—plus Moon phases to help you use the “Planting by the Moon” chart and have your best garden ever!
- Bonus #2: The Old Farmer’s Almanac 1819 edition— A printed version will be shipped to you with your order. Take a trip down memory lane and see what one of our early Almanacs looked like! It’s a time capsule of life 200 years ago!
- Bonus #3: The Old Farmer’s Almanac 1919 edition—A printed version will be shipped to you with your order. Another classic Almanac, this takes you back a century: Compare the content then and now!
- Bonus #4: The Old Farmer’s Almanac EXTRA!—A treasure trove of digital updates and Almanac content not found in the printed edition, including audio and video multimedia content. EXTRA! is far more interactive and fun than plain printed pages!
And all of this is available to you—right now—when you claim your Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership.
What are you waiting for? Half-off this Charter Membership offer is in effect for you right now!
No other Almanac has so many fun and fascinating facts, timely and accurate events and predictions, and topical and useful articles all in one place for your easy access and use—and covering more regions of North America than any other almanac or resource!
Gardeners, weather and sky watchers, and nature lovers everywhere have been enjoying The Old Farmer’s Almanac for generations, and now it’s easier than ever for YOU to experience it all with an Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership.
When we created this new club for folks like you, we wanted to make it easy to use, easy to order, and packed with content and value—that’s why we named it the “Best Value Club”! The Almanac is the ultimate resource for gardening, astronomy, folklore, nature, and more, and now it can be all yours with your Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Membership.
Become an Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club Charter Member today—while this special HALF-PRICE offer lasts!
Editor, The Old Farmer’s Almanac
P.S. You should act today to claim your Charter Membership in The Old Farmer’s Almanac Best Value Club—while 2019 copies of the Almanac are still fresh . . . and to get your bonuses, too!